Friday 13 February 2004

How to Make a Pair of Shoes

Mules to be exact. I have spent the last two days learning how to make a pair of shoes. This has comprised two long days and many different techniques. How I ever managed to work all day in the workshop at college now defies me. My feet ache, my legs ache, my back aches. But I do have a totally unique handmade pair of shoes to show for it.









  • Pattern choice, choice of materials, pattern cutting. Covering and finishing heel. Covering innerboards.

  • Closing - sewing lining and upper together. Attaching lining and upper to innerboard: stretching and tacking lining, glueing lining in place, moulding on toepuff, covering with upper.

  • Stretching and tacking upper. Glueing upper in place. Corking bottom.

  • Attaching sole to heel, then glueing sole to base of shoe. Nailing on heel. Glueing in sock.

  • Finally at the end of two very long days one pair of finished handmade shoes.


Course delivered by Prescott & Mackay (74 Broadway Market, London E8 4QJ). 020 7923 9450 or mail@prescottandmackay.co.uk. www.prescottandmackay.co.uk for more details.

No comments: