Thursday, 6 March 2008

The Day before the Day off

Woke up early today, got up, ran a bath. Sat on the bed and watched the birds in the garden while it ran. Bathed, got dressed, ate breakfast, set off to work. Read book on the bus on the way to the tube. Stood between Seven Sisters and Highbury & Islington. Swapped onto the train platform to catch a train to Moorgate - train came in a minute later. Got a seat. Read book to Moorgate. Swapped to Northern Line. Stood from Moorgate to London Bridge. Changed onto the overground at London Bridge. Didn't mind the walk between the tube and the train station - haven't done it in a while (it's no longer my regular route to work). Bad smell of meat pies in the tunnel. Caught the 9.37 to Peckham Rye. Walked past the church of Reverend Frog Orr - his iris' were in bloom already - beautiful but seemed a little early. Walked down to Bellenden - the antiquities shop wasn't open yet (they have nice pine doors, bathtubs with feet, outdoor pots).

First meeting of day.

Came out, sun was shining. Checked the bus across the street from the meeting venue, the bus didn't stop where I needed it to. Walked up to Rye Lane. Bought a dreary sandwich in Gregs. Waited for a P12 bus. Finally it came. Sat on the bus. Concerned that it took a very winding route, lost confidence that it would take me where I needed to go. Finally past the Bonsai tree shop - closer to destination. Recognised the roundabout. Was relieved.

Second meeting of the day.

Got out early, sat in the park and ate my sandwich by the bandstand. It was painted black and white - its roof was like a hat. No band played. Sun dappled through the bare branches of the trees. People walked dogs. A scraggy yorkshire terrier sniffed my shoe. Owner calls it away. Catch a 381 to my next meeting. Arrive half an hour later.

Third meeting of day.

Left work after the meeting. Caught a bus to Waterloo bridge. Caught a 341 to Angel. Past my old school. There's a gardens in front of it with an angel statue - wings and arms raised. The flats behind the gardens have been painted. Two carribean women behind me discussed what they were - they plumped for a Holiday Inn. A girl in my class at school lived in them. They were small inside. She had the most popular dad - he was a fireman and came on lots of our school trips because his shift pattern made him available. On top end of St John's Street we passed the row of buildings that has been redecorated. These are grand buildings, generously proportioned, large windows. I daydream that I had enough money to buy one - I get a comforting sense of coming home - my first decade was spent living here. But I wouldn't get as good a garden as I have now. Change buses at Angel. Catch a no.19 down to City & Islington College Finsbury Park Centre at bottom end of Blackstock Road.

Ceramics class.
Turned the bowl I threw at the last class. It didn't turn out too badly. Discovered a wheel with a manually operated peddle. Threw four more small pots using it - liked the control that was possible with this wheel. Had to be sort of at one with it - pumping the peddle to make the wheel spin at different speeds and controlling the clay (difficult at the best of times - I'm finding). The pots I'm making are not exactly brilliant, not even beautiful. But they are what they are. Probably improve with glazing, hopefully.

After class I buy cholla bread at the Happening Bagel Bakery and catch a 259 to Seven Sisters. I'm talking to Susanna on the phone when I get on. I've got the phone in one hand, my handbag, work bag and a bag of bread in the other. I hold on with two fingers. Behind me I find one of my neighbours is standing there. He likes to chat to me but he creeps me out a little bit. When I get off the phone we exchange pleasantries. I get off at Seven Sisters and go in the supermarket. I buy milk, yoghurt and some flowers. Flowers because its a long wekend and I'll be at home for 3 days to appreciate them. They are yellow and orange, tightly wrapped petals. I walk up to the Swan where I have a choice of two buses. As I'm walking up I miss one of them. By the time I get to the stop the timer says the other one is due in 2 minutes. The bus pulls up, I get on, we whizz past the remaining stops. I get off - they've repaved the pavement around the bus stop - its sandy and neat, larger paving stones than before.

Finally I am home again. I lock the door behind me and turn on ER. I'm exhausted. Really glad to have an extra day this weekend.

No comments: