Monday 4 October 2004

Monday's Life Class



So with the comments conversation I had with LaP resonating in my head I went back to class determined to try to make a less 'cold' drawing. She had commented that the drawings last week appeared so - I thought about this and thought it had something to do with the medium. Charcoal is a sympathetic drawing material - its held in the hand and rubbed in with the fingertips, its warm and maniupulable. The ink I've started drawing with by contrast is wet, and permanent and dark. Once a line is on the paper, its on the paper. Can't rub it out or lessen its power, it has to be disguised somehow. This week I carefully built up the drawings from a light watered down line gradually working up to the darker. Working with the brush inbetween and going over lines to firm them up. I thought it was working well until the last one when the blackest lines became too dark. But the model liked this one so I gave it to her.

Candid Arts Trust: open access sessions and more formal taught courses in both life drawing and painting. Behind Angel tube, Islington - first left down City Road. Contact: The Candid Arts Trust, 3 Torrens Street, London EC1V 1NQ, Tel: 020 7837 4237.

No comments: