Friday 5 September 2003

The Reed Interview

Adam from Anthroblog and I met in Starbucks for a chat about blogging. Its the first time I have met a blogger that I didn't know BB (before blogging) [I know Ian who is responsible for Fetish Fun (we used to work together)]. It was interesting to discuss why I decided to blog, what sparked it off, why I write about what I write about, and thinking about why this has become such an important part of my day (very self obsessed, naturally).

I was supposed to be going out with Bails but I'd forgotten about going to the theatre with Pops (he had told me a month and a half ago) so I had said she could pop by for a quick beer between meeting Adam and leaving to go to the National. Anyway she came stomping down the stairs bursting unexpectedly in on what had been an interesting hour for me (its quite intellectually challenging - like being back at college trying to make sense of the creative drive - like I said self obsessed). So she burst in and popped the bubble. In a last passing gesture Adam asked her if she read my blog and she dismissively said she didn't have time. My best friend didn't have time. I felt hurt. She was the second 'didn't have timer' of the week.

She was hot so we decamped to the Slug and Lettuce for a beer which we drank standing at the bar because I had 15 minutes before I had to leave for the theatre. The boyfiend rang but I hurried him off the phone so I could talk to her. Her only comment was that she couldn't be bothered with all that blogging stuff because it was so nerdy. And then we had to talk about her. I had a quick dash to the loo before leaving and when I returned she was on the phone to somebody and couldn't even say goodbye.

Earlier in the week I had been on the phone to SH (an ex-art tutor who I have had a role reversal with and now go round and give feedback on her work) and she said she didn't have time to look at it either.

And last Friday ML and I were talking about blogging and he couldn't understand why strangers would want to read about other stranger's lives.

And on the bus on the way to the theatre I had a Carrie Bradshaw moment, "If none of your friends can be bothered to read your work why would anyone else be interetsted?"

So I retreat to the virtual world and those who return despite not knowing the physical me at all. And my biggest fans amongst the people I know in the physical world seem to be my Dad & my sister (and what a shock that is!).

No comments: