Saturday 15 July 2006

London Alphabet
B is for Bridges





London exists because of the river. And also because of the river it is a divided city. Cut in two. You're either a southside or northside Londoner. Having managed with only one bridge for many centuries we now have lots. Increasingly hi-tech and modern. I like the way bridges span. I like being able to stand in the middle of them and look at the big dirty green water flowing past beneath. I like the painted iron and the algae covered concrete. The amazing size. The way they are flat on the top and arched underneath. I love the fact that the Millenium Bridge wobbled and for many months had bails of straw hanging underneath it. I love the fact they bought London Bridge thinking it was the gorgeous one (or at least thats how the urban myth goes). I wish we still had bridges with shops on them, crammed floating streets.

With time I have grown used to crossing the river - I go from one side (sleep) to the other side (to work). Mostly I don't notice my journey on the way (being underground and all) but on the way back there's frequently the opportunity to take in the view from the bus on the bridge. Sudden opening of space and light made possible by the river, and a view of the banks from the bridges.








There are other bridges in London but I haven't got any pictures of them. Bridges that take roads over one another or link tall hills, or blasted gaps. Footbridges over roads, between blocks of flats and over roundabouts. Train bridges that take a path over the heads of those on the street. Different levels give different perspectives.

Central London Bridges, with some panoramic views
London bridges - interactive visualisation - 3D section includes pictures of the millenium bridge in construction
London's bridges basic facts
London Bridge
CGI reconstruction of London Bridge 1500

No comments: