Tuesday 8 February 2005

Rediscovered Smells

For a number of reasons I haven't smelt this smell for a long time - mostly to do with the fact that I don't generally spin sheets on a vigorous 1200 setting so they hang slightly wet and all the creases fall out whilst they dry and they don't need ironing. However, this week, in a hurry I didn't change the settings on the washing machine and ironing became a necessity. The sheets were very creased. More creased than I could leave them despite the fact that you're only going to lye on them and wrinkle them up anyway. More creased than stretching them over the bed would straighten. So tonight I'm ironing them. And the smell is lovely - clean cotton sheets, ironed with steam. Reminds me of opening the parachute bag that mum would bring home full of clean pressed washing from the laundry at Hornsey Road Baths. Sheets ironed in huge roller ironing machines. Warm still despite the journey, but with their poppers crushed.

No comments: