Thursday 5 October 2006

Ceramics Class

So moving on from rudimentary pinch pots, we made coil pots last week. Rolls of clay built up in a sort of spiral, smoothing (to some extent) the vessel walls on the inside and outside as you build up. I used thin coils. Fat coils build faster. Mine was lobsided, but pot-like. Then I did some throwing. Much raising up a column of clay and squashing it back down. Lots of balls of clay whipping off to the side. Much squeezing too hard so it came off in my hand. No pots created. Damn hard it is, despite looking so easy.



This week I put a pre-firing glaze (called something-or-other velvet) on the pot I made last time. Y'know, just to see what it'll look like. We also built jugs out of wet-slabs. Don't be fooled by its infant-school styling. I can see potential in this method. I may be able to build a birdbath afterall!

No comments: