Friday 8 July 2005

The Aftermath

I am bound to my fellow londoners caught up in the collective, not grief exactly, emotion, perhaps grit.

I feel distraught for those who lost their lives and for their families and friends. I am proud of those who helped, either because they rushed in, or because they were there when it happened. Our collective spirit is strong. I hope those in trauma can at some point overcome their fears and find peace again.

I'm not sure I'm at one with the 'they will not change us' blitz mentality at the moment. I feel fragile - largely because I didn't realise the danger we could be in, I was in the vicinity of the blasts, caught up in the evacuation but not in any actual danger ever. I only got scared when I got to work and saw what was happening on the news.

We've had the fear before, we've been a target on and off for years and we've had big blasts before. I think I had just forgotten that the danger was real. Today the danger feels real. And I'm going to stop watching the news now.

No comments: