Tuesday 28 June 2016

Escalator

It's been a while since I had a good escalator story. But I noticed it a couple of weeks ago and checked it today. At Manor House tube station there are two old escalators flanking a middle one that has been recently renovated. At rush hour in the evening two go up (the left hand and the middle one). Previously I was standing on the left one watching people standing in the middle overtake me. The middle one must be faster. So today, and I don't know why this pleases me so much, but in the race of standing passengers on moving staircases, I chose the middle escalator and overtook 5 people spaced with two steps between each. A significant win and worth the choice, I think you'll agree. 

2 comments:

Peter said...

Station escalators in the New York subway are a comical mess. They're constantly breaking down, and it literally can take years to fix one.

Harriet (the fshlady) said...

Some of them were put in when the lines opened but most now have been replaced. But I can't believe how long it takes to fix them...